Tuesday was a special night at Brooklyn Bowl in New York City. With the third Nor’easter in a few weeks headed towards NYC, the music had to go on. Billed as a “Freaks Extravaganza!” the venue played host to Polyvamp, Karina Rykman Experiment and Fruition. This lineup featured three bands with varying sounds that did not disappoint.
The night started with a set from Polyvamp, a high-energy groove, rock, electronic and funk band out of New York City. They kicked off their set at 7:30 and played a mix of old and new tunes that saw the slowly-growing crowd getting down and dirty. Backed by a powerful rhythm section, guitarist Cory Ziskind and saxophonist Seth Eisenstein led the band through 45 minutes of non-stop, high-energy music that set the bar high.
Despite the impending storm, on March 20th Brooklyn Bowl played host to a night of high-spirited genre-bending music. Starting off the evening was electronic-funk sextet Polyvamp. NYC-based, these guys have been making a name for themselves with their experimental original jams. Band member Seth Eisenstein set the pace on sax, while double percussionists Scott Jacobi and Ethan Quigley kept up a lively backbeat. Highlights included the debut of new song ‘Freeze,’ written by Eisenstein and keyboardist Zander Ryzinski. Other standouts included guitarist Cory Ziskind and bassist Yuri Soussov’s vivacious energy on set closer ‘Triple Step.’
- Words by Corinne Casella | Photos by Jeremy Gordon -
- 2 tickets, Scott Sharrard and pals, Rockwood Music Hall, NY, NY 1/20/18
- 2 tickets, Balcony Row A Cheech & Chong at the Capitol Theatre, Port Chester, NY 4/20/2018
- 2 tickets, 9pm 12/31 James Brown Dance Party, Gramercy Theatre, NY, NY
- 2 tickets, 2am 1/1 Phish After Party with The New Mastersounds, Irving Plaza, NY, NY
- 2 tickets New York Jets, Met Life Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ, 12/24/17
- 4 tickets plus parking pass, New York Giants, Met Life Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ, 12/31/17
- 2 tickets, Joe Russo’s Almost Dead, Capitol Theatre, Port Chester, NY 1/12/18
- 2 tickets, Joe Russo’s Almost Dead, Capitol Theatre, Port Chester, NY 1/13/18
- 2 tickets, Joe Russo’s Almost Dead, Capitol Theatre, Port Chester, NY 1/14/18
- 2 tickets, Greensky Bluegrass, Playstation Theatre, NY, NY 1/27/18
- 2 tickets, Marcus King, Gramercy Theatre, NY, NY 12/28/17
- 2 tickets, Songs of Love Foundation Benefit featuring Pigeons Playing Ping Pong, Cutting Room, NY, NY 2/15/18
- One-Year Le Poisson Rouge Classic Fish Membership, includes free admission for you and a guest at all member shows. More info here: https://le-poisson-rouge.myshopify.com/products/membership
- Rocks Off Cruise package includes a pair of tickets to your choice of cruise plus some other goodies!
- “Eat A Seafood Tower” with Karina Rykman, Lure Fish Bar, NY, NY
- $200 gift certificate for lunch at Il Buco Alimentari & Vineria on Great Jones Street, NY, NY
- $100 gift certificate to Calexico Restaurant, New York, NY and Brooklyn, NY
- $100 gift cert to Hometown BBQ, Brooklyn, NY
- Lure Fishbar $200 gift certificate, NY, NY
- $100 gift card to Fogo De Chao Brazilian Steakhouse, Midtown Manhattan
- Fine and Raw Chocolate “Nirvana” Gift Crate
- Signed “My Only True Friend” lyrics poster (2018 Grammy nominee for both Gregg & Scott as co-writers, Best Americana song) + SS T shirt
- James Flames Trey band print matted/framed
- John Warner Gov’t Mule NYE 2013 Beacon Theater print
- John Warner Phil Lesh 11/14/13 Brooklyn Bowl print
- John Warner Mountain Jam 2013 print
- 2 Joe Russo’s Almost Dead coffee table books (100 shows)
- AJ Masthay prints
- Revivalists original by John Levy NOLA Jazz Fest 2015 ⅓
- Joe Russo’s Almost Dead stained glass window art piece of JRAD/Radiohead/Ween mash-up logo
- Phish Baker’s Dozen Santora poster (mint condition, still in a stupendous tube)
- Pixies box set(180g vinyl/cd/book)
- Blauer.com gift card
- Bob Dylan box set
- Miles Davis box set
- Yoga sessions and gift basket with swag
- Nespresso Inissa machine
- 2 year subscription to Qello Concerts
- Scott Sharrard guitar lesson
- “Day of Tennis (Lawrence Country Club), Tequila and Beach (Sunny Atlantic Beach Club in Atlantic Beach) with Bobby Feldman
- Golf Foursome at Seawane Country Club, including lunch at Halfway House
- Aquarium Rescue Unit poster/8/16/15 Brooklyn Bowl designer signed 163/350 artist signed
- Lunch and a private tour of Spotify’s new offices with Ian Geller, Global Head of Connected Home and Car Partnerships
- Michael Matlick original Scott Sharrard painting
- Ninety-minute group film discussion with film producer Monica Hampton at Pooja Russo’s Vineapple. Coffee included.
Some of those behind tastemaking e-mail list NYC Freaks have formed the Freaks Action Network (FAN) in aims of raising money for worthy causes. As the FAN takes steps towards full 501c3 status, the group is throwing a concert in Brooklyn on Thursday, December 21 and has announced a raffle and silent auction to benefit We Make Noise.
The raffle includes “Rock Me,” “Feed Me,” “Dazzle Me” and “Wow Me” options. Tickets to see Cheech & Chong, the New York Jets, Joe Russo’s Almost Dead, Greensky Bluegrass and Marcus King are among “Rock Me” prizes. “Feed Me” options include “Eat A Seafood Tower” with Karina Rykman, a $100 gift certificate to Hometown BBQ and a $200 gift certificate for Lure Fishbar. As for “Dazzle Me,” rare JRAD photo books, John Warner prints and a signed “My Only True Friend” lyrics poster are among items up for grabs. A Bob Dylan box set, two-year subscription to Qello Concert and yoga sessions can be obtained by “Wow Me” winners. Raffle tickets can be purchased here for $5 (or here to get five tickets for the price of four). Names will be drawn at random for each prize and winners do not need to be present to win. Head here for a full list of items.
A Silent Auction will take place during Thursday night’s concert at Littlefield in Brooklyn. POLYVAMP will open followed by The Karina Rykman Experiment and Scott Sharrard & The Brickyard Band. Tickets for the concert can be purchased here. Silent auction items include private lessons from Scott Metzger and the other members of WOLF!, a guitar lesson from Scott Sharrard, a golf foursome, lunch and tour of Spotify’s new offices and more. 100% of raffle proceeds go to We Make Noise.